Thursday, May 01, 2008

DO YOU KNOW WHAT IT MEANS TO MISS NEW ORLEANS?
St Louis Cathedral

When all of our wedding planning took place I was so often asked, “Where are you going on your honeymoon?”…When I proudly announced (in my slight Kentucky drawl), “To Nu Orluns!” I got some really interesting comments and reactions from people. Primarily, the one word question, “Why?” popped up. First of all, I had never been there and had only seen New Orleans in photos and movies. My parents had been twice and loved it. My parents are history buffs and this gene is firmly planted within me so I didn’t understand why anyone would question our honeymoon choice. Then people started cautioning about the “seedy-side” of the Crescent City. And my parents did warn us about Bourbon Street and certain areas that you don’t go into alone. However, we wanted to experience the world famous Jazz, Garden District, amazing cuisine, the Mississippi steam boats, and the French Quarter architecture. So, with the incentive to take part in all of that grandeur, we happily combed through travel books and brochures, and I had to watch “Gone with the Wind” again to get a glimpse of Rhett and Scarlett’s New Orleans Riverboat honeymoon. Remember the great scenes where Vivien Leigh is so over taken with excitement over all the great food and then the famous scene when Rhett comforts her after she had a nightmare where she was running through the mists to Tara looking for something that she couldn't find? …With that imagery firmly planted, we planned our wedding and honeymoon and even planned our reception around this theme with dancing, jazz music, and great food; all against the backdrop setting of the French Quarter Suites Hotel (I think it’s now Double Tree Suites). After all the celebration, we left on May 1, 1994 for our first New Orleans trip and it certainly didn’t disappoint us. We were there for a week of incredible food, great music, Old World Europe meets the deep South charm, wonderful historical tours, the Audubon Park, and our first Hurricanes (Not the Katrina sort but the kind you drink)…On that trip we both fell in love with that city and have returned a few times since then but not since Katrina. The last time we visited was the year before that horrible tragedy and we celebrated a belated anniversary (in June) by going down to Lafayette, LA for the wedding of one of our best friends. After the wedding we drove to New Orleans and spent the remainder of our trip there before returning home…We do often miss New Orleans because like no other city that we’ve been to, with the exception of Charleston, SC, it truly got in our blood and we think of it and long for it like a lost love……..

To be continued…..




The Frenchman Hotel(Where we stayed on our Honeymoon)

Scenes from Rhett and Scarlett's Honeymoon

13 comments:

Lavinia said...

Rebecca, what a post! I had no idea that New Orleans would be so rich in memories for you. Happy memories of your honeymoon...you must have been agonized to see the horrible photos of the aftermath of Katrina's wake in that city.

You are very perceptive...a city can lodge itself into your heart and inspire such yearning and longing....

I'm glad you have your memories to treasure and hopefully one day you will return to New Orleans, and have another happy holiday. The human will to surmount obstacles and rebuild over devastation is very strong, but everything takes so long....

I well remember the scenes you mention in Gone with The Wind...I must have seen this movie twenty times or more in my youth...a local Nostalgic Cinema used to play it on their "semi-big' screen....

I loved the character of Scarlett, and also Rhett Butler. I loved that scene where she got a little tipsy and then he came a-calling and she tried her hardest to hide her condition, but he saw right through it.

REgards,
Lavinia

Anonymous said...

What great posts here with regard to you wedding and honeymoon. I love your pictures. What happy memories they bring to mind. "Gone with the Wind" is one of my favorite movies. It was made in 1939. With that in mind I think they really did an outstanding job of filming with extras in those huge scenes. As Prissy said, "I don't no nothin' bout birthin' babies." "Don't hit me, Mizz Scarlet!" Thanks for sharing New Orleans with us! Please continue. :)

Tess Kincaid said...

I am dropping over to tell you that your new profile picture is absolutely fabulous!! I love it! (even though the red background is gone...it's just over on mine now) ;)

Tess Kincaid said...

Hi, dinner's cleaned up and I'm back for a more careful read of your post. Interesting and enjoyable! I have never been to New Orleans, but being the history buff, I know I would love it.

G said...

Regarding your choice of honeymoon city, why I think you made the perfect choice. As to Nu Orluns having some disreputable sections, what city worth its salts doesn't? Maybe some theme park type place. Ugh.

You made the right choice in more ways than one it seems. :)

And your new picture... hello gorgeous!

Rebecca said...

Lavinia, thank you for the comments. Oh goodness, I'll never forget the night when all the footage of the Katrina aftermath was shown and how that made us feel. We were sitting down to dinner and the news was on TV. Harry Connick Jr. had gone down to survey the disaster of his hometown and his music was being played in the background. I wept like mad when they showed all the damage and devastation. It was and still is surreal. The French Quarter was largely spared from the worst damage( it sits on the highest point of the city) so that at least gave us some bit of comfort. We really believe that we'll go back- probably after John finishes Dental School. You really said it well about a place getting in your system. I can't explain it but that's exactly what happened to us.

On a lighter note, "Gone With the Wind" is the greatest. I first saw it when I was very young( 7 or so) and watched it every year until I was a teenager. Then any time it was on TV I tried to watch it as well. The scene you mentioned where Scarlett is tipsy is hysterical. So many great moments in that movie....You know, so many bloggers seem to love this movie that I think we should have some sort of Gone with the Wind blog party or tribute! Wouldn't that be grand?

Rebecca said...

Bachelor, thanks for your kind words about the wedding pics. I get so nostalgic just looking at them....Great memories!...I have more pictures and tidbits that I'll post over the next couple of days.

See my post to Lavinia about Gone with the Wind. What do you say? Any ideas about a tribute?

Rebecca said...

Willow,

Thanks...I needed to update mine, too.....

You would love New Orleans. I think it would definitely be up your alley. You would eat up the ghost tours( I've taken 3 thus far!) and all the walking history and architecture tours...And I'm posting tomorrow about Napoleon House...I think you'll find it very interesting.

Rebecca said...

Blog princess..Thank you very much..You look pretty smashing yourself:-)....

I'm so glad we didn't listen to the naysayers and stayed with NOLA. You know, my parents agreed that it was the perfect place for a honeymoon and the more I think about the people that really questioned the choice the more I think that they wouldn't have really appreciated historic homes, tours, etc...Oh, dear...I'm not a theme park fan at all and that can be hard with having two kids. My son would love to go to more of them but we just detest them so much...LOL!!

Dorothy said...

Hi Rebecca...How incredibly romantic to have stayed in New Orleans at the Frenchman Hotel for your honeymoon. A good while ago, we visited New Orleans as well. I'm sure our stay was much like yours, in that we just drove through Bourbon St :).. We toured the city by horse drawn carriage ....Love the music, the gorgeous old balconies the people and the amazing Creole food. The artist, mimes and children dancing on the streets, I remember quite fondly. I have an original water color of St Louis Street by Franke Weiss, that he signed and numbered. Your pictures of Scarlett and Rhett's honeymoon...wonderful! I've seen the movie so many times...I rememember the scenes you described so well...Your wedding reception must have been beautiful...I do so look forward to more of your lovely story..

Dorothy said...

I'm back again Rebecca to mention your new profile picture...I love it! Your such a beautiful young lady...inside and out....sort of have that Scarlett Ohara kind of beauty I would say :)...

Mmm said...

I really enjoyed your post about N.O. Very interesting!! Almost makes me feel I could put up with the heat but I know I couldn't handle seeing the devastation very well--my wife drove through there two years ago and explained just how massive and prevalent the damage was, even by that point.

"When I proudly announced (in my slight Kentucky drawl), “To Nu Orluns!” I got some really interesting comments and reactions from people. Primarily, the one word question, “Why?” popped up. First of all, I had never been there and had only seen New Orleans in photos and movies."
--Isn't taht reason enough to go? I would love to spend more time seeing places and people I've never met before.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hello Rebecca!
I jumped over from Willow's blog and I just had to tell you that I, too, adore New Orleans! I visited recently in October '07, so I did see some of the post Katrina devastation which made me so sad. The city is struggling to come back and needs tourism so much. I do hope you will go back soon!
My post about the New Orleans is under Feb 15 on my blog.
Thanks!