Tuesday, May 27, 2008

YORKSHIRE GOLD TEA WITH PECAN CREAM CHEESE SCONES

One of the best scone recipes I've found came from a charming little mini cookbook that a friend of mine bought me when I was in college. It's for a dropped scone recipe. With the addition of cream cheese, it is wonderfully moist for a scone. I serve this often at Tea Society events and have paired it with many teas but the black teas go best with this scone. One of my favorite black teas is Yorkshire Gold and it would be great with this recipe. You can serve the scones with any type of curd and clotted or fresh whipped cream. Orange marmalade and sweet butter is really good eaten with this as well.

Pecan and Cream Cheese Scones

2 cups all purpose flour
¼ cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoons butter
3 tablespoons cream cheese
2/3 cup milk
1 egg
½ cup medium pecans, chopped
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons cold water

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut the butter and cream cheese into the dry ingredients, stirring until well blended. Add the chopped pecans and combine well with the dough. Using an ice cream scoop, scoop out the scones and place them on baking sheet.

Beat the egg yolk with the cold water. Using a pastry brush, brush the glaze on each scone.

Bake 25-30 minutes, or until golden. Serve hot or cold with butter and jam or clotted cream and lemon curd. This is a nice scone with Earl Grey or Darjeeling Tea.
Makes 10 scones

16 comments:

Lavinia said...

Rebecca, I can do this. Yes. I have always found the thought of making scones a bit intimidating.... but the addition of cream cheese is most intriguing...

I have to tell you, I am really grooving on this flapper music you are featuring on your blog...it is making me feel very zippity-doo-dah!

Dorothy said...

Pecan Cream Cheese Scones...how could they be anything but devine :) I'll have to make them at my next little tea party.

Rebecca said...

Lavinia, this is such an easy recipe and so tasty.

Rebecca said...

Deedee, I hear you. Anything with cream cheese gets my attention, too:) This really is my favorite scone recipe because of that. There's just enough to make it moist enough.

Lavinia said...

Cream cheese goes with anything. They even add it to sushi and its quite popular at least up here in Canada...

Tess Kincaid said...

This recipe sounds devine!

They sound moist and delicious. I must give them a try.

It is dangerous blog browsing this late in the evening...it makes me hungry! Aak!

Betsy Brock said...

How lucky for me that I have all these ingredients in my frig right now! yea....I plan on making these tomorrow! yummy! Now if I only had some yorkshire gold! :)
We're hooked on white tea right now, so that will have to do!

Mmm said...

Oh I totally agree with you, Rebecca, re: teh tea! Love Yorkshire tea--any of their kinds will do!

Yumm--that recipe looks incredible. May I please pop over for a tea sometime ..virtually anyway? that picture is amazing too. I think I would enjoy the south--at least all the people who still enjoy having teatime--something we don't see here very often.

Rebecca said...

Willow, it is dangerous, blogging about or just reading about food in the evenings...I was thinking about these scones all evening and may just have to whip up a batch.

Besty, you can order Yorkshire Gold through the Taylors of Harrogate link on my sidebar. It's really great tea...I like white tea as well.

Rebecca said...

MMM, pop over anytime for a cuppa...And yes, Yorkshire Gold is just heavenly. I first tried it a couple of years ago at a B and B in Louisville and was hooked. It's the perfect black tea, IMO.

I wish everyone would recognize teatime. I'm glad my children are growing up with this custom.

Betsy Brock said...

I'm back to copy this recipe! Do you leave the dough in the rounded ball from the icecream scoop or do you pat it down? Thanks!

Rebecca said...

Betsy, just leave it in the ball from the scoop and it will flatten out somewhat in baking.

Anonymous said...

Sounds Delish! Have never put cream cheese in scones. Sounds like a good marriage. Thanks too for the Hot tea tip!

xo
Constance

Mmm said...

I tried to instill this in my kids but hasn't really stuck.

BTW, added you to my blogroll as you may have noticed, so now I can more easily navigate back here.

Rebecca said...

Thank you, MMM! You're on my blogroll as well...

Kalianne said...

Thank you Rebecca! They sound scrumptious - especially as they contain cream cheese! YUM!