Tuesday, May 13, 2008

CHICKEN, PESTO, AND ROASTED RED PEPPERS WITH PENNE RIGATE


2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
8 boneless/skinless chicken tenders
8 teaspoons prepared pesto
1/4 cup prepared pesto
1 jar roasted red peppers( cut into strips and separate 8 strips from the rest)
salt and pepper
2-3 Tablespoons pine nuts
toothpicks

8 ounces penne rigate pasta( approximately 1/2 a box)

Sprinkle each chicken tender with salt and pepper and spread 1/2-1 teaspoon of pesto on each tender( spread on one side only)...add a strip of roasted peppers on top of pesto, roll up and secure with toothpick...Cook pasta according to directions...Heat olive oil in skillet and cook chicken thoroughly until juices run smooth...They should be lightly browned as well...After chicken is cooked, remove from pan and put on a warm plate...drain water from pasta and add penne rigate to the pan where chicken was browned....stir in the 1/4 cup pesto and remaining strips of roasted red pepper... Heat on low for 2 minutes then add chicken and add pine nuts into the mixture. Remove the toothpicks before serving....

10 comments:

Dorothy said...

My goodness Rebecca..this looks very very nice. You are quite the little cook. I believe I have had this..perhaps at Macaroni Grill or something like it. I'll have to make this for sure...Mr. DD would enjoy this :)

G said...

Sounds delicious Rebecca. And do you know, this is one of my favourite recordings of one of my favourite songs, which I've also blogged about. Mmmmmmmm... heavenly. And what lovely words. Thank you! :)

Hey... how do you add music like this to your blog?

Lavinia said...

I always enjoy pesto, but it has to be authentic, with pine nuts.

Isn't it great that so many sauces and dressings go with pasta; it would get boring if all we ever ate with it was tomato sauce; mind you, there is nothing so sublime as a perfect tomato sauce...the longer you simmer it, the better it tastes.

Thanks for these ideas.

steviewren said...

Yummy, I love pesto. This recipe sounds easy too. I have a favorite I make with pesto and salami. It sounds like an unlikely combination but it is really very good. Next time I make it I think I will post the recipe too. I love these quick and easy and meals.

I'm enjoying your playlist. Nice tunes.

Tess Kincaid said...

Oh my this looks yummy!!!

I will definitely make this, Rebecca! Perfect spring dish. I adore pesto. I started making it last summer and putting it on everything. Which reminds me, I really should plant some basil this spring.

Cutting and pasting your recipe right now. Thank you! :)

Lavinia said...

Steviewren, pesto and salami? I've never heard of that before. Mind you, I once read a story about a terrific tomato sauce and the secret ingredient was grape jelly, so....perhaps pesto and salami isn't so strange after that.

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmm. This looks so good. I love Pesto! For more great recipes, check out http://iheartpesto.blogspot.com

Rebecca said...

Everyone...this is such an easy recipe. It's light but full of flavor and perfect to eat on a warm evening out on the patio with some delicious bread and a glass of Pinot Grigio or Chardonnay...Yum....

BPG, I love Ella and Louis together...Does it get any better than that? I'll email you about getting music for your blog...

Steviewrem, the pesto salami combo sounds really interesting... I'll bet my husband would love that.

Willow, I usually grow basil as well and need to plant some this year...

Deedee, I love Macaroni Grill but they closed the one in Lexingon:(.I'll bet they had something very similar on their menu... I got this recipe out of a Parenting magazine years ago along with a jerk chicken recipe which I need to hunt for as well... I think the issue had several chicken recipes.

Lavinia, it really is a nice change from tomato based sauces which I love but I like some variety with pasta, too.

Anonymous said...

The recipe looks absolutely delicious! I bet it would also be great with sun-dried tomatoes..and of course the wine, homemade Italian bread, and a good friend for company; well, it just doesn't get much better than that! :) -K

Rebecca said...

K, Yes, sun-dried tomatoes would be delicious...And, sharing a meal like this with a good friend is a wonderful suggestion:-). Hum...I have just the perfect college friend in mind :-D

R