Monday, May 19, 2008

HITCH-HIKING AND THE WALLS OF JERICHO

It’s amazing what visual creatures we are….I was thinking about my favorite movies and what the first scenes that come to my mind, when I read or hear the title of a movie, might be. For instance, in Gone With The Wind, it would be Rhett Butler turning to Scarlett and offering perhaps the most famous line in movie history, “Frankly my dear, I don’t give a damn…….”.But then there is the scene with Scarlett when she returns to find Tara in shambles and vows, “As God is my witness, I will never go hungry again…” That timeless classic film offers a fantastic visual feast…. My mind then made the leap to another Clark Gable movie and another one of my favorites, the 1934 film It Happened One Night…For me, the first image that this title conjures is the great hitch-hiking scene where Claudette Colbert shows Gable a unique way to get someone to give them a ride….I did some investigating about this scene and it seems that Ms. Colbert thought that it would not be appropriate for her to lift her dress and show off her legs this way but when Frank Capra decided to bring in a “body-double”, Claudette became quite angry and insisted that someone else's leg could never be passed off as hers. She then insisted that she should do the scene. I would have been so disappointed if that had not really been Claudette Colbert. I’ve always loved that scene and it would’ve ruined it for me if a body-double would’ve stood in for her. I’m so glad she decided to show off her fabulous gams! The other scene that this movie calls to mind is the famous one with the sheet over the rope which served as a room divider between the two characters, Peter and Ellie, Gable christened them, “The Walls of Jericho!”....Hum… …Could be time to watch this great film again... It’s been years since I last saw it and what better way to spend a rainy Monday?


11 comments:

G said...

Just look at that lovely last image, the poster for the movie. Now that was classic poster design. This movie is one of my favourites. When I was in London in the 80s Colbert starred in a stage play. I didn't see it, but I remember a reviewer saying of her, that at her age - she was well into her 80s - she outshone the ingenues a quarter of age in the matter of radiance and charm. They were both magic, weren't they? Hope you enjoyed your movie Rebecca. :)

Dorothy said...

Oh my Rebecca..one of my alltime favorite movies...the scenes you described are my favorites as well...I could look at Clark Gable all day long...what a handsome "bloke" :) Colbert was darling in this role...I'm so glad we have access to these old movies...just don't make them like the used to..I say that a lot lately :)

Lavinia said...

Rebecca, thanks for the introduction; I have never seen this movie. I'm not really a fan of movies made in the 1930's; Gone with the Wind being a notable exception.

I just may keep an eye out for this one, as you have made it sound quite amusing; and Clark Gable is quite a draw....although in my mind, he will always be Rhett Butler.

Anonymous said...

Oooh yes!! Go Claudette Colbert! She's got style! So do you. Anyone that knows how to wear a hat and feel pretty does!!
Thank you for your kind note!
xo
Constance

Rebecca said...

Thanks everyone...I think I must have been around 12 years old when I first saw this movie and my sister and I were hooked on it from the get go. We were already head over hills for Clark Cable so anything with him in it would've been perfect...And didn't he and Carole Lombard look smashing together? What a handsome couple they made...

Betsy Brock said...

How interesting about the almost body double! It turned out great without a double....what great legs! Thanks for the insite on the movie...never knew that!

david mcmahon said...

Came here from Willow Manor. Thanks for delving into film trivia.

Katney said...

And after David came, he told everyone about it, so here I came. I saw IHON for the first time fairly recently, but the hitchhiking scene is an iconic one that most everyone is somewhat familiar with.

And it works. Don't ask me how I know.

steviewren said...

I love this movie. I introduced it to my daughter years ago and she has played it for her friends. It is truly one of the classics. It just never gets old. Clark Gable always exuded maleness didn't he? He was just so sexy! Claudette Colbert was so perky in this movie. That is what I liked about her...not about to be pushed around by anyone.

Tess Kincaid said...

I love that scene where she puts her leg out to flag down a ride! :)

Clark makes me melt!

Cath said...

The old ones are the best, without a doubt. Just look at how many people remember them! Would modern day movies be remembered the same or evoke such memories or emotion? Very few would.

Thanks for sharing. Over from David McMahon btw.