Friday, September 05, 2008

THE WIDOW OF THE SOUTH


Saturday, September 6, 2008, The Ladies' Historical Tea Society will have an Iced Tea Social and book discussion of The Widow of The South by Robert Hicks. This book takes an interesting look at the life of Carrie McGavock of Franklin, TN. Carrie begins the story as a regular southern woman caught up against the backdrop of the tragic Civil War. In the midst of all the mourning of personal losses, death and devastation, she is transformed from the mere ordinary to extraordinary and reaches the status of legend. I will be posting pictures and comments next week from this event and welcome any bloggers who have read this book to post their comments and thoughts as well.

7 comments:

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Our book club read this a couple of years ago and it was very popular. Funnily enough, Robert Hicks is a friend of ours and it was fun to watch this book climb up the charts!

I hope your little daughter is feeling better!

Lavinia said...

I haven't read the book but this sounds familiar...have you blogged about her before? You have featured the bios of some remarkable historical ladies of the past before....I enjoy reading the story of their lives...I look forward to hearing more about Miss Carrie...

Tess Kincaid said...

I'm not familiar with this book, but it looks like something I would enjoy. I'll be looking forward to your upcoming posts.

Wow, Pamela! Interesting that you actually know the author. Small world.

Yes, hope little Rosey Bud is feeling better.

steviewren said...

I haven't read it either, but I am eager to hear more.

Hope chicken pox Goldie Locks is on the mend.

Kelli said...

The Widow of the South sounds like a very inspiring book. I'll looking forward to hearing more! Hope you had a wonderful tea social on the weekend!
~Kalianne

Creations by Marie Antoinette and Edie Marie said...

Rebecca,I could use a cup of tea right now,Thank you for your concerns and well wishes.We made it though,We just finish the last clean up of limbs and such.I really do love this post of The Widow of the South.I will be looking forward to this subject.I posted a stoty on my blog ,go ck it out.Hugs Marie Antionette

ZipZip said...

Dear Rebecca,

Oh, so sad I had to miss the tea! The photo looked positively scrumptious...

Well, I made it well into the book, until something happens that disturbed me so much I could read no further. It's good to hear that other pages further on are inspiring, because then I can pick it back up. The novel's images are indeed very strong and stay with you.

Hugs,

Natalie in Kentucky