Wednesday, August 27, 2008

THE SPARTA TEAPOT MUSEUM



As I was browsing the web this morning, I stumbled across the most amazing place called The Sparta Teapot Museum. I had never heard of this place before but recalled that a traveling tea pot exhibit came through Centre College in Danville, KY last year and began to wonder if some of that collection might have been on loan from this new museum. ....The museum, located in Sparta, NC near the Virginia border, has a website( the gallery photo on this blog was taken from there) but it seems to be undergoing some updates and I just discovered some more information from Wiki( below) about this new museum. Have any of you wonderful bloggers heard of this amazing place?

The Sparta Teapot Museum is currently being constructed in downtown Sparta, North Carolina, USA and is scheduled for completion by the summer of 2008.

It will contain approximately 30,000 square feet (2,800 m2) devoted to the history of tea and teapots and to the display of teapots from all cultures and all eras.

The museum will draw mainly from the teapot collection of Gloria and Sonny Kamm. The Kamm Collection comprising of more than 6,000 teapots is the largest teapot collection in the USA and arguably the world.


Hum...I know I'll be making this pilgrimmage!

8 comments:

Lavinia said...

What a discovery. This is amazing! I would love to lose myself in wandering about here for hours, gazing at all the different teapots. How very interesting. You must share pictures once you go....

By the way, Rebecca, I'm suffering with a bad cold and sore throat....what kind of tea do you recommend for my malady? I've been taking chamomile with lots of honey...

Tess Kincaid said...

What a wonderful idea for a museum! This is right up your alley, Rebecca. You should take your Society on a little field trip! What fun!

Rebecca said...

Lavinia, I can't wait to get over that way and see this...I'll make sure and give a full report when that happens.

Oh, I do hope you feel better soon...I would recommend Echinacea Tea with a local honey and a word of caution about chamomile; if you suffer from allergies to other plants in the Asteraceae (Compositae) family, you should avoid chamomile. This would be: aster, chrysanthemum, mugwort, ragweed, and ragwort. If chamomile has never caused you a problem before then you're fine with it, though and it's believed to have a sedative effect on some people( epsecially babies with colic)...Feel better very soon, my friend!

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

You would be proud of me...I just purchased the most wonderful teapot, cups and saucers for a Christmas present for a tea-loving friend!

Creations by Marie Antoinette and Edie Marie said...

I can see you now Rebecca, Your in Hog Tea Heaven. LOL Hugs Marie Antionette PS.Hop on over to my blog and see what songs I chose for my song tag.I had so much fun doing that one.

Betsy Brock said...

What a fun place! I'd love to browse through all those displays! Then you would have to go somewhere for a wonderful high tea after all of that! :)

G said...

Oh! This was very interesting about the chamomile and ragweed connection. I will read up on it. Thank you!

As for the Sparta teapot museum, that looks heavenly. Here in Toronto we have the Gardiner Ceramic Museum and it's very worth the visit should you ever come up this way.

Lavinia said...

Thanks Rebecca! Fortunately I have no allergies and am fine with chamomile, but I am going to pick up the echinacea because I need something healing. The chamomile is just soothing.