Tuesday, August 12, 2008

THE CAT OF THE HOUSE

( Magic peering through the spindles)



The Cat Of The House

Author: Ford Madox Ford (1873-1939)


Over the hearth with my 'minishing eyes I muse; until after
the last coal dies.
Every tunnel of the mouse,
every channel of the cricket,
I have smelt,
I have felt
the secret shifting of the mouldered rafter,
and heard
every bird in the thicket.
I see
you
Nightingale up in the tree!
I, born of a race of strange things,
of deserts, great temples, great kings,
in the hot sands where the nightingale never sings!


Yesterday was a very sad day around our house...We had to say farewell to our old black cat, Magic....Magic was somewhat of an enigma. He adored my husband but merely tolerated the rest of us but we loved him in spite of this. We adopted him from Petsmart when he was two or three years old. A stray scraggly little lethargic thing he was but he sprang to life with vigor when we brought him home and attended to him. We had many years with him and he was nearing 14 or so but steadily spiraling downward...It's so hard to see your pets in this state...The above poem by Ford Madox Brown epitomizes how Magic would've been most happy....He was a house cat though and was rarely able to venture outdoors to enjoy such antics( we live in a downtown area near a very busy street) but he would watch by the window as the birds would taunt and tease him. He was so desperate to get through the glass window to pounce...My favorite memory of him was to see how his whiskers fluttered rapidly and twitched with fervor as the autumn leaves from the back maple tree fell to the ground in a rhythmic dance. He was most funny to watch during this little "Leaf Ritual."...He will be missed and the house is strangely empty without him but he is at peace now and no longer ailing so that gives us great comfort...And, I can't help but think he's in heaven chasing birds, leaves, squirrels and butterflies to very little avail...

10 comments:

Tess Kincaid said...

I'm so sad to hear about the loss of your pretty little Magic. We lost our handsome yellow lab, Ralphy, last year and I still miss him so much every day.

Betsy Brock said...

Oh...so sorry! What a very sweet tribute to Magic! He's getting aquainted with our Alex and Teddy! :)....whom I miss terribly.

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

My heart goes out to you. What a lovely tribute to Magic and what a great photograph of him. Edward and I send you love and comfort.

Rebecca said...

Willow, Betsy, Pamela and Edward,

Thank you for the kind words of comfort...Our sweet Sheltie Lizzie and other cat, Shadow, miss him, too.. Shadow more so than ever as he definitely knows that Magic isn't around anymore...

Anonymous said...

Makes me cry. I'm SO SORRY Rebecca!
Loosing an beloved pet is one of the very worst things. Can't say anything except I'll be thinking of you. Please know how sorry I am for your family, Lizzie and Shadow.

xox
Constance

Mmm said...

I'm so sorry Rebecca and know a bit what you are going through, having lost dear loved family pets too many times before. It is so hard.

Arija said...

So sorry to hear of your loss. A cat is just as much a member of a household as everyone else.
We recently lost one of our two farm (and family) dogs,and, although we have 3 generations living in two houses her, it left a tangible hole in the place.
A very beautiful photo and tribute to your beloved Magic.

ZipZip said...

Dear Rebecca,

I wrote you an email about this but must write again. Your tribute brings Magic to my mind. I feel very lucky indeed to have had him visit my lap once upon a time.

Little twitchy whiskers, he's in a good place, this I believe. Whatever the theologians say, St. Francis knew that God doesn't forget his creation.

Hugs,

Natalie

G said...

This loving tribute to your dear cat shows how much he was loved.

Lavinia said...

My sympathies, Rebecca. Rest in peace to little Magic. The little cat with the big personality. Thanks for sharing these memories of your cherished cat. You gave him a good long life indeed...