Tuesday, August 19, 2008

A BREAKFAST FIT FOR A HOBBIT


It's so funny for me to think that there was ever a time when I did not love breakfast. When I was younger, a cup of coffee and a piece of dry toast was about all I needed ( or thought that I needed) to get me through the day...Oh, how life changes and how I have changed. Now, as I approach the middle years of my life, I think my favorite meal might just be our special weekend breakfasts...Not a doughnut and coffee kind of breakfast mind you but a real Hobbit breakfast fitting for Bilbo, Frodo, Merry and Pippin! I want omelettes loaded with bacon,tomatoes, cheese, scallions, and mushrooms( of course!) with even more bacon on the side and a couple of wedges of wheat toast( this is precisely why we only eat like this on a couple of Saturdays out of the month)...Yes, that would just about do for me...Can't forget the cuppa Irish breakfast tea to go along with that, can we? And of course, speaking of Hobbits, you know they didn't settle for just one breakfast. They were quite partial to "elevenses" and Tolkien mentions that they are quite fond of 6 meals a day if they can get them.....I'm afraid I would be a quite rotund Hobbit if I did that so the one first morning feast will have to do until a lunchtime salad calls me back to reality and out of the much coveted Shire.....

10 comments:

Tess Kincaid said...

This Hobbit's breakfast is making me soooo incredibly hungry this morning! I've got to find another cup of tea...

Dorothy said...

Rebecca...the Hobbit's breakfast looks inviting...one of those busy mornings here...we had that toast and coffee you mentioned. Perhaps tomorrow a more suitable food will be served....

Betsy Brock said...

Oh, yum! I love omelets! I think I'd want the doughnut along side....and wait until the elevenses to eat the whole thing with a pot of tea. OK....really hungry now!....One of my favorite things about my cruise last spring was looking forward to a custom ordered made-in-front-of-me omlet each morning! What a treat!

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Ooh, Elevenses. If only. No one eats better than a Hobbit. Breakfast is my favorite meal as well. It's usually lots of fruit for me, but I do make a killer biscuit. Being from the South that is a requirement. And my husband has the patent on pancakes. I am always amazed when we are in Scotland and witness the size of the breakfasts that people eat every morning! How they are not incredibly, as you say, rotund... I do not know. Although, I have noticed that lunch is no big deal over there, so maybe that helps. I always forget about lunch anyway!

Oh great, you've made me hungry.

Mmm said...

Oooh, I just wan to have a yummy breakfast now. I tend to usually rush and bring a yoghurt with me only. But, this morning I even actually had an over easy egg on bagel with a good cuppa. Not as fancy or delicious as what you mention ehre but nice just the same.

Anyway, I want to cresh your next families breakfast!

steviewren said...

I like a good egg and cheese casserole whenever a big breakfast is called for. Hash browns topped with chopped ham, onions and lots of cheese is yummy too.

Arija said...

Dear hobbit loving friend, for me the hash browns and a toutch of maple syrup on the bacon? Perhaps a toast and home made strawberry jam to follow and Pooh always had honey for elevenses! A few of those, and we could do away with cars and just roll everywhere.
Oh what the heck..."a little of what you fancy does you good".

ZipZip said...

Ahhhh, a good breakfast! Why not have it for dinner? That's Curte's favorite, you know, and I rather like eggs and pancakes for dinner too, especially if I have fried apples on top of the hotcakes instead of syrup. :}

Then there's pie for breakfast. Warm apple pie, for example. Gee a bit of bacon on the side of that would be just the right mix. Met some folks last week who hail from my part of the world and they remember pie for breakfast too. The Amish are all for pie for breakfast: how about you?

Ouch, this is making me hungry. Off to find a snack...

Hugs,
Natalie

G said...

Breakfast is a wonderful meal and I always have a good one with some protein involved. On weekends I love soft-boiled eggs with toast, or lemon pancakes. Yum yum. I'm off to make something simpler now (weekday morning you know!)

Lavinia said...

That bacon is done to perfection!