Friday, April 30, 2010

DERBY WEEKEND IN KENTUCKY



It’s that time of year again in the Bluegrass State. Today is the Kentucky Oaks but tomorrow, May 1st, is the world famous Kentucky Derby. For most of us in Kentucky that means a weekend of Derby themed parties, dinners, and more parties! The Tea Society has had Derby Teas in the past where we’ve highlighted all things Kentucky, especially in reference to teas and food products. We've even designed our own Derby hats in the past years. But this year, with incredibly busy schedules from all, it seemed impossible to find a weekend where most of us could join together.



Some of our members are wearing their finest millinery and attending all the racing events. While our Polly, a well-respected and talented milliner, has been covered up in hat orders from around the globe. She will no doubt welcome a bit of breathing time after the race on Saturday. That is, until wedding season sweeps her up with more orders! For me, I think I will spend the weekend watching all the celebrations from a cozy seat in my parlor while sipping a hot mint infusion or a cuppa Elmwood Inn’s Kentucky Blend. On Sunday, however, I will take advantage of a tradition among many of the women in our region in wearing a fine Oaks or Derby hat to church on Sunday.

If by chance you would like a taste of the Derby, try the famous Kentucky Mint Julep(seen in the image below). Southern Living offers a recipe here.

10 comments:

Betsy Brock said...

Oooh..the picture of the lady in the hat is amazing! Have fun!

Rebecca said...

Betsy, I love the picture, too...It's available for wallpaper from Louisville's Courier Journal...

:)

Anonymous said...

I agree with Betsy...the hat picture is so cool. And a mint julep sounds pretty cool and refreshing, too : )

La Petite Gallery said...

What a great Post and on a favorite passtime of mine...
Yvonne

Rebecca said...

LadyCat..of course I thought of you when I saw the red shoes in the pic....:)


Thanks, Yvonne....So love the pageantry envolved!

Tea Time With Melody said...

The mint julip looks so refreshing!

Zuzana said...

Of course, the famous Kentucky Derby.;) I am sure you are delighted to wear a fancy hat on Sunday.;)
I recently saw a movie where they prepared Mint Julep.;) It sounds like a drink I would like.;)
Have a lovely weekend,
xo

Rebecca said...

Zuzana,

As long as the rain clears out by tomorrow then I'll be sporting one...:D

Oh, my! I drink one mint julep per year and that is of course usually on Derby Day. Actually, I hear a drink called the Oaks Lily is all the rage this year at Churchill Downs(even outselling our beloved juleps). It's made with crushed ice, vodka, triple sec, and cranberry juice..It's supposed to call to mind the colors in a stargazer lily. I want to try one! :D....

Anonymous said...

You ladies are just all gussied up!
Go Super Saver!!! Let's have a Triple Crown Winner this year!
:) The Bach

ChaChaneen said...

Last week I heard something referenced about the Kentucky Derby and I immediately thought of you and reminded myself I haven't been by to visit, so here I AM! I lurve that you ladies are keeping hats alive! I have yet to find a hat style that suites me but I'm thinking California is just not the place to be looking. ha ha

Have a great day!